Whilst visiting families at home is the traditional Home-Start approach, due to COVID-19, our Volunteers will be asked to support a family through weekly telephone/video calls.
Volunteers offer a realistic, flexible response and a caring attitude rather than a clearly defined method of working.
By sharing their time and friendship volunteers offer families opportunities to develop new relationships, fresh ideas, and enhanced skills and capabilities. Families can gain the confidence to take advantage of other resources in the community.
The work of the volunteer requires a high level of commitment and reliability and will be regularly supported by Home-Start Cymru.
We ask that volunteers be a parent or have parenting experience and are aged 18+
The aim of the role will be to provide companionship and practical support for isolated families/individuals through a weekly telephone call, during these difficult times.
A Home-Start Volunteer should:
- be a parent or have parenting experience
- commit to calling a family member each week at a mutually agreed time
- have a positive attitude to working with people of any gender, family status or sexual identity, or who are from any ethnic origin, culture or religion, or who may have a disability
- demonstrate a sensitive and caring attitude towards others
- have a non-judgemental attitude
- be clear about confidentiality and when a confidence remains so, but be able to decide when disclosure of a confidence is essential to the well-being of a child
- be reliable and understand the importance of reliability to the family
- have good communication skills including an ability to listen
- understand the need for support
- have a warm and open personality and a sense of humour
- have time and enthusiasm for Home-Start
- be able to work as a member of a team
- be prepared to keep records as requested by the scheme
Time commitment: This opportunityrequires a high level of commitment and reliability. Negotiable with the organisation.
Travel expenses: Out of pocket expenses are reimbursed.
Training provided: Full training is provided.
Selection procedures: An informal discussion, application form completion, references and a disclosure and barring check (cost met by organisation).