We are looking for volunteers who have an interest in gardening, gardening skills, listening, good communication, commitment and a supportive and non-judgemental attitude to people who have experienced dependencies to alcohol and drugs. We are based in Llanharan and reimburse travel expenses.
Our Alcohol and Drug Residential Treatment Service has large gardens that are in need of development and on-going maintenance all year round.
The duties would include:
- Maintaining and developing the gardens
- Grass cutting, weed control and leaf raking
- Planting new trees, flowers, vegetables and other plants
- Maintenance of plants, tubs and basket
- Notifying Brynawel staff of required maintenance and service requirements of gardening equipment
- Seeding plants and watering them at the correct times
- Clearing rubbish and litter away from the garden and grounds
- Giving advice and guidance to our clients; - Deciding on which seeds to plant and which locations
- Ensuring a safe working environment for everyone working in the garden
The organisation also has ducks, chickens and bees so any experience within these areas would be desirable.
Time commitment: A suggested weekly time commitment is 2 - 8 hours. Available Monday – Friday, days and hours are negotiable with the organisation. It would also be possible to volunteer at the weekend if that is more convenient for the volunteer.
Expenses reimbursed: Travel expenses are reimbursed.
Training provided: Full training is provided.
Selection procedures: An informal discussion, application form completion, references and a disclosure and barring (DBS) check (cost met by organisation).